Conduct first-class interdisciplinary research and development in wireless and information technology; foster new enterprise development; and address the skilled technology worker shortage.
To best capitalize on the IT revolution, spur economic growth, advance scientific research and develop the technologies of tomorrow, the New York State Center of Excellence in Wireless and Information Technology (CEWIT) was created in 2003 as the anchoring building in SUNY Stony Brook University’s Research and Development Park. The Center is a next generation research and educational facility whose mission is three-fold: become recognized as a world leader in interdisciplinary research in the emerging, critical technologies of the information age, address the skilled technology worker shortage, and foster new enterprise development. CEWIT has more than 70 associated faculty members, and more than 400 Ph.D./M.S. students engaged in research. The Center has created a powerful intellectual property portfolio resulting in numerous patents. Since its inception, the Center has worked hard to build strategic alliances and business partnerships among the academic, scientific, and business communities. Our partners include some of the world’s best known and most sophisticated giants of wireless and information technology. The Center is building on these achievements and has laid the foundation for R&D partnerships with its partners and sponsors, and with other internationally known research institutions.
The Center’s research areas are diverse and cover distributed robotics, expressive and hybrid networks, mobile computing, wireless networks, cyber security, computer vision and image processing, RF systems, microwave sensors, wireless sensor networks, computational genetics and protein docking, computational neurobiology, virtual reality, effective bandwidth utilization, wireless protocols, wireless ad hoc networks and wireless gateways. Our research topics range from materials to components to systems and address devices and communications, networking, software systems, and solutions/applications for vertical markets.
By the Numbers
- Over $160 M in industry commitments match $50 M state capital award
- Almost 700 jobs created/saved by CEWIT and industry partners
- Almost 500 industry and federal projects completed 123 Invention disclosures, 40 US patents issued, 23 licenses
- Over 680 research publications
- 4 new startup companies based on CEWIT innovations
- Successfully organized annual conference on emerging technologies over the past 13 years
- 70 Faculty affiliates
- More than 290 graduate students
- More than 50 industry, academic, and research partners
- More than $150 M received from federal and industry sponsors
- 100,000 square-foot, state-of-the-art facility
- 40 new research laboratories
- 7,000 square-foot incubator space
- First building in the Stony Brook University Research and Development Park
- State-of-the-art Data Center
- Direct 500Mbps internet connection with redundancy
- 20Gbps backbone over CAT7a & fiber optical network cabling
- 100% WiFi, WiMax coverage
- VoIP unified communication
- Private enterprise cloud computing and storage cloud